Father's Day Quiz
May 26, 2010 12:00AM
How much do you know about these famous dads? Take this fun & fast quiz and find out!
1. A renowned poet and novelist as well as chair of poetry at the University of Cambridge, this academy award-winning actor’s father wrote mysteries under the pseudonym Nicholas Blake.
- A. Jack Nicholson
- B. Charlie Sheen
- C. Daniel Day Lewis
- D. Rob Schneider
2. Social scientists believe that the modern Western family developed largely from that of the ancient Hebrews for what reason?
- A. Their families were patriarchal in structure
- B. It was a matriarchal society
- C. It was an oligarchy
- D. The Hebrews called their god "Father"
3. Which "father" figure does NOT exist?
- A. Father Cats
- B. Father Dogs
- C. Father Christmas
- D. Father Divine
4. Who was first named "Father of His Country"?
- A. George Washington
- B. Thomas Jefferson
- C. Emperor Augustus
- D. Napoleon Bonaparte
5. Which ancient Greek god was least likely to celebrate Father’s Day?
- A. Zeus, father of the gods
- B. Iapetus, the father of Prometheus
- C. Hyperion, the father of the sun, the moon, and the dawn
- D. Cronos, god of fertility
6. If you are a first-born son, is it a good thing or a bad thing for your father to practice primogeniture?
- A. Good
- B. Bad
- C. It depends
- D. Who cares
7. American actor Robert Young starred in what 1950’s TV show dedicated to fathers?
- A. Father Knows Best
- B. Leave it to Daddy
- C. My Three Fathers
- D. I Dream Of Papa
8. Which "Make Room For Daddy" star fathered "That Girl"?
- A. Danny Thomas
- B. Carl Reiner
- C. Monty Gleason
- D. Jon Voight
9. Which "father" figure does NOT exist?
- A. Father Flanagan
- B. Father Coughlin
- C. Father Damien
- D. Father Clinton
10. The ancient Egyptian deity Amon was represented by what animal?
- A. Ram
- B. Lion
- C. Dog
- D. Rat
11. Which was NOT one of Spencer Tracy’s "father"-ly roles?
- A. Father of the Bride
- B. Father’s Little Dividend
- C. Boys Town (Father Flanagan)
- D. Father Knows Best
12. Which society is NOT patrilineal?
- A. Bedouin
- B. Ewe
- C. Shawnee
- D. Tuareg
13. According to Greek mythology, the god of sleep was the father of Morpheus. What was his name?
- A. Hypnos
- B. Doseus
- C. Napinus
- D. Snoozola
14. What blue-eyed crooner fathered a singer whose boots were made for walking?
- A. Elvis Presley
- B. Bing Crosby
- C. Frank Sinatra
- D. Ricky Nelson
15. What happens when a father practices the custom of couvade?
- A. He takes to his bed and complains of labor pains
- B. He circumcises his son
- C. He demands a DNA test to ascertain paternity
- D. The male penguin assists the female by sitting on the nest
16. According to Greek mythology, who was the father of the gods and mortals?
- A. Cronus
- B. Hades
- C. Poseidon
- D. Zeus
17. The country singer Tex _____ fathered a star who among other things played a role on Three’s Company. What is Tex’s last name?
- A. Ritter
- B. Somers
- C. Knotts
- D. Williams
18. Can you name the father-son acting duo where the father was Spartacus and the son became president (on screen)?
- A. Kirk and Michael
- B. Donald and Kieffer
- C. Martin and Charlie
- D. James and Josh
- C. Daniel Day Lewis.
- A. Their families were patriarchal in structure.
- B. Father Dogs. Father Cats was a Dutch writer, Father Christmas is the English Santa Claus, and Father Divine was an American religious leader.
- C. Emperor Augustus. In 2 BC, the Roman emperor Augustus is made Pater Patriae ("Father of his Country").
- D. Cronos, god of fertility. That’s because Cronos (Kronus) castrated his father and protected himself from a similar fate by eating his children. Some fertility god, eh?
- A. Good. Your inheritance is guaranteed under this system. He can’t cut you out of the will no matter what!
- A. Father Knows Best.
- A. Danny Thomas. Everyone knows that Marlo was "That Girl," right?
- D. Father Clinton. Father Flanagan (of course) founded Boys Town, Father Coughlin was a Canadian-American priest and activist, and Father Damien was a Belgian missionary.
- A. Ram. He was the father of the moon, according to the mythology.
- D. Father Knows Best. That’s right, Spencer Tracy was the "Father of the Bride" long before Steve Martin!
- D. Tuareg. How many people guessed Ewe? That was pretty tricky, wasn’t it!
- A. Hypnos. Hypnos god of sleep, often depicted carrying a poppy; son of Nyx, brother of Thanatos, and father of Morpheus.
- C. Frank Sinatra. Nancy Sinatra recorded "These Boots Are Made For Walking" for those who don’t remember!
- A. He takes to his bed and complains of labor pains. Documented by Marco Polo and modern anthropologists, it is taken to be an assertion of his rights and responsibilities as father in some cultures.
- D. Zeus. If Homer said it then it must be true! However, it was more an honorary title than a practical one.
- A. Ritter. And he was John Ritter’s Dad of course!
- A. Kirk and Michael. This would of course be the Douglases! Did you know that if Kirk hadn’t changed his name they would be the Danielovitchs?