6 Tips for Healthy Exercise Strategies in the Summer Sun
Jun 27, 2012 12:00AM
Keep yourself and your family safe when working out in the hot summer heat.
Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Plan to exercise during the coolest hours of the day.
- Fatigue is a real problem on hot days so get a good night sleep the night before and allow at least one day of rest and recovery before your next workout.
- Arm yourself with sun block, lip balm, visor and make sure to wear clothes that wick away moisture
- Be on the lookout for headaches, dizziness, blurred vision and nausea. These are signs of heat exhaustion. If this happens stop your workout immediately, rest and hydrate.
- Add an additional 3-5 minutes to your cool down
- Don't overstretch. Your body's muscles are more malleable in the warm weather and overstretching can lead to an injury.
Lisa Corsello is a fitness expert and has been in My Family Doctor Magazine, LowCarb Magazine, Current Health Magazine, the Chicago Tribune and more.