Mixed-Berry & Lemon Mini-Icebox Cakes
Nov 11, 2014 05:47PM
Yield: 12 mini-cakes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 package (4.9 ounces) vanilla wafer cookies
- Blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries, for garnish
What to do:
- Line muffin pan with plastic wrap, pressing plastic into each cavity and letting plastic hang over edge of pan.
- In large skillet, combine mixed berries, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue simmering until berries soften and liquid reduces to 1 cup, about 20–25 minutes.
- Gently mash berries with wooden spoon. Transfer to medium bowl and cool completely.
- In large bowl, whip cream on medium-high speed until cream holds stiff peaks, about 4–5 minutes. Gently fold in berry mixture and zest until completely combined.
- Place whipped cream in decorating bag and cut off pointed end. To assemble, pipe small amount of whipped-cream mixture into each muffin cavity. Lightly press a cookie into whipped cream.
- Continue layering whipped cream and cookies until cavities are full, finishing with whipped-cream layer. You should have 3 layers of cookies.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove pan from refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap from top and carefully flip out onto serving platter. Remove wrap from mini-cakes.
- Garnish with additional berries, if desired. Serve immediately.