Feb 26, 2017 12:00AM
By Momma Chef
How easy is it to make dinner while holding a 4-year-old on your hip, calming a 7-year-old throwing a tantrum, and helping a 12-year-old with his homework? Sound familiar? As a mother of three, I have finally mastered a way to serve a fabulous meal with little effort. These two recipes use only four ingredients and take under six minutes to prepare.
Country "Fried" Chicken Recipe
If you like dark meat, substitute bone-in thighs for breasts. Also you might find it helpful to wear disposable gloves when preparing the chicken.
- 8 bone-in chicken breasts with skin
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Rub olive oil over skin of the chicken and sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoning Salt. Spread the mayonnaise on top of the seasoning.
- Bake for 1 hour uncovered on lower rack.
- After taking the chicken out of the oven, let it sit for 5 minutes to seal in the juices.
Couldn't Be Easier: London Broil
This is a great recipe to quickly throw together in the morning and let marinate in the refrigerator during the day. Just put the meat in the oven or on the grill when you get home.
- 1 ½-2 lbs. London broil
- ¾ cup Italian dressing
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- Mix dressing, honey, and soy sauce in a large Ziploc bag.
- Add London broil to bag and, if possible, let marinate several hours in the refrigerator.
- Grill on low heat 12 minutes each side (16 minutes longer per side if you like it well done -- but who likes it well done?!). If you aren't brave enough to grill in the winter, then preheat the oven to 400ºF, place the London broil in an uncovered disposable pan, and bake on the lowest rack for 1 hour. Let it sit 5-10 minutes to seal in the juices.
Karen Nochimowski, aka Momma Chef, is a stay-at-home mom of three active boys (ages 12, 8, and 5). Find more of her recipes at mommachefblog.wordpress.com and at facebook.com/themommachef.