Skip to main content

Sonoma Family Life Magazine

Get Federal Money for Disaster Relief

Oct 16, 2017 12:00AM

Did you lose your home in the recent fires? There is help! If you live in Butte, Lake, Napa, Mendocino, Sonoma or Yuba Counties, you can apply online for a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). FEMA grants, which do not have to be repaid, can be used to pay for temporary housing, essential home repairs, and uninsured and underinsured personal property losses. Just go to to apply. You’ll be asked for the following:

• Social Security number

• Address of the damaged primary residence

• Description of the damage

• Information about insurance coverage

• A current contact telephone number

• An address where they can receive mail

• Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds  

In addition to FEMA grants, the US Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest loans to businesses of all sizes as well as private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters. For more information, visit