Soup Up Squash
By Momma Chef
I know it’s probably not fair for me to toot my own horn about my recipe, but this is hands-down the best butternut squash soup you will ever make. Not to mention how unbelievably easy it is to prepare. I like to add cream cheese to give the soup a rich texture. But if you want to make it dairy-free, you can put in ½ cup of your favorite milk substitute and the soup will still be delish. Make sure to add the cream cheese or milk substitute when the soup is done cooking, right before it’s blended.
Simple and Delicious Butternut Squash Soup
• 1 chopped onion
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 32 oz. cubed butternut squash
• 1 box (32 oz.) vegetable broth
• 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese (or ½ cup milk substitute)
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3 minutes.
2. Add cubed butternut squash. Mix and cook another 2 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable broth and 8 oz. water.
4. Cover partially and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes, until butternut squash is very tender.
5. In a blender, food processor, or soup emersion, puree soup, cream cheese, and brown sugar in batches until smooth.
1. I get my cubed butternut squash from Costco. It comes in a 32 oz. container.
2. When serving, I like to sprinkle the soup with cinnamon and chopped pecans.
Find the recipes of Karen Nochimowski, aka Momma Chef, on mommachef.com. Each of her recipes contains six or fewer ingredients and takes under six minutes to prepare. Momma Chef’s latest endeavor is the creation of a soup kitchen. See mommachef.com/soup-kitchen.