Chicken Meets Chickpeas
By America’s Test Kitchen
Hearty chickpeas are ideal for salads because they absorb flavors easily and provide substance. We added the classic Mediterranean flavors of lemon, smoked paprika, cumin, and fresh mint to canned chickpeas for an accompaniment to quick-cooking pan-seared chicken breasts. Reserving a few tablespoons of the dressing for drizzling on the chicken before serving helped reinforce the smoky, tangy flavors of the chickpea salad.
Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts with Chickpea Salad
• 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• ¼ cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• Salt and pepper
• 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
• ½ red onion, sliced thin
• ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• 4 (4- to 6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
Note: Smoked sweet or smoked hot paprika can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
1. Whisk ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, honey, paprika, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in large bowl until combined. Reserve 3 tablespoons dressing. Add chickpeas, onion, and mint to remaining dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
2. Spread flour in shallow dish. Pound thicker ends of chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to uniform ½-inch thickness. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dredge in flour to coat, shaking off any excess.
3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Place chicken in skillet and cook, turning as needed, until golden brown on both sides and chicken registers 160 degrees, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to serving platter, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle reserved dressing over chicken and serve with salad.
Reprinted with permission from the Ultimate Meal Prep Cookbook: One Grocery List. A Week of Meals. No Waste. (America’s Test Kitchen, 2021); americastestkitchen.com.