Looking for a Rainy Day Activity?
By Sandy Sandler
Celebrate autumn with this acorn pom-pom mobile. Makes a great display piece for your home.
Here are the supplies that you’ll need:
• 10 acorn caps
• Small branch 9–12 inches in length
• Large sharp needle
• 10 pom-poms in fall colors
• Five 20-inch lengths of thread, twine, or yarn
• One 24-inch length of thread, twine, or yarn
• Liquid glue
Let’s make the Acorn Pom-Pom Mobile.
1. Gather acorn caps and small branch. Store these in the freezer for a couple days to kill any beasties.
2. Pierce a small hole in the center of the acorn cap. You can use a small hand drill; an awl; an ice pick; a large, sharp needle; or a slender nail and hammer.
3. If you can’t find the color pom-poms you want, color white pom-poms with markers to get fall hues.
4. Thread the needle with a 20-inch length of yarn. Thread an acorn cap onto the yarn.
5. Tie a knot on the inside of the acorn cap.
6. Repeat with another acorn cap at the other end of the yarn.
7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with the remaining 20-inch lengths of yarn.
8. Add glue to the inside of the acorn caps.
9. Glue a pom-pom to the inside of the acorn caps.
10. Attach the acorn pom-poms to the branch. Either wrap the yarn around the branch a couple times or tie in place.
11. To hang the acorn pom-pom mobile, tie the ends of the 24-inch length of yarn to the ends of the branch.
12. Enjoy autumn!!
Sandy Sandler is the creator of Bowdabra. Her frugal, green, family-friendly craft projects are designed to transform the creatively challenged into creative pros. Find out more at bowdabra.com.